In today’s fast-paced and competitive working environments, ensuring the safety and well-being of employees is a top priority since creating a safe workplace not only impacts the overall safety, but also contributes to the success of the organization. One important aspect of achieving this is by identifying and learning from unsafe acts and conditions to have a proactive approach to avoid possible accidents in an early phase.
According to OSHA, the main goal of safety and health programs is to prevent workplace injuries, illnesses, and deaths, as well as the suffering and financial hardship these events can cause for workers, their families, and employers. A proactive approach to managing workplace safety and health is a more effective approach than traditional, reactive methods that address problems only after a worker is injured or becomes sick, a new standard or regulation is published, or an outside inspection finds a problem that must be fixed. But by focusing on achieving goals, monitoring performance, and evaluating outcomes; workplaces can progress along the path to higher levels of safety and health achievement. Implementing these recommended practices also brings other benefits such as reducing costs, including significant reductions in workers’ compensation premiums, engaging workers, enhancing social responsibility goals, and increasing productivity and overall business operations. By taking a proactive stance, we can learn from unsafe acts and conditions and prevent future incidents from occurring. Here’s a roadmap for learning from unsafe acts & conditions:
- Identify the root cause of the unsafe act or condition: Look for the underlying causes that contributed to the unsafe act or condition.
- Generate corrective actions: Once you have identified the root cause of the unsafe act or condition, you can develop a plan to correct the issues. This may involve
changingamending procedures, providing additional training, or implementing new controls to prevent similar incidents from occurring in the future.
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of the corrective actions: Once the corrective actions have been implemented, it is important to monitor and evaluate their effectiveness in preventing similar incidents from occurring in the future. This may involve collecting data and analyzing it to determine whether the corrective actions have been successful.
- Document and share the results: Document the impact of the corrective actions and engage all the parties involved to show how their corrective actions helped to have a safer workplace.
One powerful tool that can help EHS teams to take the proactive steps to safety is Intenseye’s AI-powered workplace safety platform, which can observe 24/7 and provide real-time data on conditions and behaviors in the workplace. One way our customers are using Intenseye’s technology is by analyzing 12-second video footage from the frontline. Each piece of footage tells a unique story, and by asking questions and prompt conversation, it allows learning to identify root causes and fix them systematically. Intenseye also creates daily, monthly, quarterly and shift based reports in various formats from the real-time data!EHS managers then use Intenseye Task Management module — a powerful tool designed to develop & implement corrective actions. The module includes a Toolbox Talk feature that allows EHS teams to easily communicate with frontline teams, assign tasks, set due dates and collaborate with team members using comments and attachments.With the Task Management module, EHS teams can:
- easily create and assign tasks,
- reach solutions list prepared by our EHS experts for each use case,
- track corrective actions from creation to completion,
- and see the total impact of task completion on the total alert count and compliance score.
Through the use of Intenseye’s AI technology, EHS teams can identify and address unsafe acts and conditions in the workplace proactively and can learn from unsafe acts & conditions efficiently!If you’re interested in learning more about how Intenseye’s technology can help your organization create a safe and trustworthy workplace, schedule a demo with us.